With the vast array of eating-out options, from our neighbourhood tze-char store to the high-end restaurants, cooking at home for Chinese New Year may seem like a chore today. However, preparing for Chinese New Year may actually be more fun and simple than you think!
Here are some suggestions on how to make your preparation for this year’s Chinese New Year more enjoyable and manageable:
One of your dishes can be a simple yet mouth-watering steamed fish. This dish is easy to cook — just steam the fish and pour the sauce!
When having this dish, remember:
- Use the whole fish but eat only the middle: following the Chinese idiom, leaving the head and tail means being disciplined and finishing everything from the start to end
- Position of the fish: serve the fish with the head facing the elders as a sign of respect
Dumpling is a fun food to make together as a family, get everyone involved by filling the dumplings with homemade fillings and shaping the dumplings into interesting shapes.
- To spice things up and add a little fun: put a white thread or a copper coin. It is believed that whoever picks the dumpling with the white thread will possess longevity while the person who picks the copper coin will possess wealth.
If you are looking for wealth this year, try to eat as many dumplings as you can because the more dumplings you eat, the more you will earn!
3. SPRING ROLLS
Spring roll is a convenient dish that anyone can whip up by simply frying them. You can buy frozen spring rolls or make your own spring rolls from scratch.
The resemblance of the spring rolls to gold bars makes this dish popular amongst people who are looking to attract wealth this new year.
Longevity noodles are extremely long noodles, symbolising longevity. This dish can be easily cooked by stir-frying store-bought longevity noodles.
Try slurping up as much noodles as possible in one slurp, but be careful not to choke on the noodles!
5. FRUIT PLATTER
Forget about unhealthy CNY goodies and try a fruit platter for dessert. Certain fruits have their own meanings:
- Sweet and tangy tangerines and oranges: bring you good luck for the year
- Juicy pomelos: bring you continued prosperity
Sweeten up everyone’s day with some candied fruits that are fancied by everyone. The recipe is simple, requiring only sugar, syrup and your favourite fruits.
If you are finding a more traditional recipe for the New Year, you can try the candied haw that is sure to tantalise your tastebuds.
Homemade sweets are fun and delicious that both children and adults will enjoy. This recipe only requires 2 ingredients that are readily available at home — sugar and water. By caramelising the sugar you can design your own sweets!