Daily Update 2020-04-24: 1,037 New Confirmed Cases, Total 11,178 in SG Now

3 min read
A huge part of staying safe is to have timely, up-to-date information. Join our telegram group for the latest update on COVID-19 and other important information here.

As of 24 April 2020, 10am, there are 11,178 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Singapore. On 23April 2020, there were 1,037 new confirmed cases.

According to MOH, 982 cases were linked to work permit holders residing in dormitories, while 30 were linked to work permit holders staying outside of dormitories.

There are 25 local community cases, contact tracing is ongoing.

COVID-19 cases chart Apr 23 Rafa Estrada

Credit: CNA

6 New Clusters

  1. Blue Stars Dormitory at 3 Kian Teck Lane
  2. Hulett Dormitory located at 20 Senoko Drive
  3. Seatown Dormitory at 69H Tuas South Avenue 1
  4. Woodlands Dormitory, 27 Woodlands Sector 1
  5. 12 Loyang Drive
  6. 59 Sungei Kadut Loop

$100 million traineeship programme to help graduates

With the recent economic slowdown, graduates may find it even harder to find jobs in the near future. Hence, as mentioned in the recent Resilience Budget 2020, the Government is putting $100 million into this traineeship programme to help graduates improve their skills while receiving allowance for the next 12 months.

Based on the scope and skills required for the traineeship, the allowance for each individual will differ.

Table showing funding rates for traineeships

Credit: MOM and WSG

According to WSG and MOM, the allowance is approximately 50% -70% of the median salary.

80% of the traineeship will be funded by the Government, while the remaining 20% will be funded by the host company.

To be able to qualify for this traineeship:

  • must be a Singapore citizen or permanent resident
  • must also have graduated – or be graduating – in calendar year 2019 or 2020
  • or have graduated earlier and completed National Service in 2019 or 2020
  • graduated from ITEs, polytechnics, universities or educational institutions such as private universities and overseas institutions

As of writing, more than 280 organisations have offered more than 4000 traineeships. This includes companies from the private sector, Government and institutes of higher learning. Even big companies like Singtel, DBS and Surbana Jurong are part of this traineeship programme!

To learn more, click here!

Local Universities initiate help for graduating students, outside of the traineeship scheme

Local Universities like NUS and NTU are offering full-time paying jobs and traineeships to graduating students who find it difficult to find jobs. Priority will be given to students facing financial difficulty.

NUS:

  • All trainees will have access to all of the university’s Continuing Education and Training (CET) courses and certificates for free
  • Graduating students in any Master’s degree programmes at NUS may also defer the payment of course fees for up to three years from the date of enrolment at no interest

NTU:

  • S$2 million OneNTU Fund to support Singapore citizen and permanent resident students who need immediate help
  • Eligible students may get an interest-free advance of up to S$1,500, which they will reimburse to NTU within two years after graduation
  • NTU Priorities Fund: to help NTU students who are worst hit by the economic downturn
  •  NTU will extend the candidature of NTU final-year PhD and Master’s students with a full waiver of tuition fees for up to 1 semester, in light of the disruptions faced due to the closure of the labs

To learn more click here!

Civil servant arrested under Official Secrets Act

The 35-year-old Singaporean woman was arrested for wrongful communication of information under the Official Secrets Act and unauthorised access to computer materials under the Computer Misuse Act.

She is accused of:

  • accessing unauthorised and confidential materials and forwarding them to a friend
  • shared figures of the new number of cases before the official release in a private WeChat group
  • and on her Instagram story

To learn more, click here!

Malaysia’s movement control order extended again till 12 May 2020

Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin did not discount the possibility that the MCO would be extended further after this, but the government might ease some restrictions should infections continue to slow.

With the most recent extension, Malaysia will be under movement controls for 56 days!! Hang in there, Malaysia!!

Hang In There GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

A huge part of staying safe is to have timely, up-to-date information. Join our telegram group for the latest update on COVID-19 and other important information here.

Singaporean Heroes Unmasked

SG COVID-19 superheroes set record for being the FASTEST to disband after their Debut?

TOP 5 mobile games to keep you occupied this CB!!

Spread the love