Exercise ideas credit: SELF.com
Now that all sports and recreation facilities are closed due to the circuit breaker measures, I am sure some of you are frantically worried about how you can continue to stay fit? Especially without any equipments at home.
Fret not! This article is here to save the day!
Upper body workout: Plank Tap
- Start in a high plank with your palms flat, hands shoulder-width apart, shoulders stacked directly above your wrists, legs extended behind you, and your core and glutes engaged.
- Tap your right hand to your left shoulder while engaging your core and glutes to keep your hips as still as possible.
- Do the same thing with your left hand to right shoulder. (AND TADA that’s 1 rep!)
Now you just got to repeat this while alternating between sides! 💪
Beginner tip: You can try spreading your legs a little bit more to make this easier 😉
Lower body workout: Runner’s Lunge to Balance
Now that we are done with our upper body, it’s time to work on the lower body!
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your core engaged.
- Take a big step back with your left foot, and drop into a very low lunge by bending your right knee to 90 degrees and lowering your chest toward the floor to tap your left fingertips to the floor. (Your extended left leg may be a little bent, but it shouldn’t come to 90 degrees.)
- From this low runner’s lunge position, push off your left foot and lift your left leg to come to a standing balance on your right leg with your left knee at hip height.
- Pause for a moment in this balance, then immediately bring your left foot behind you and drop into another low lunge.
- Do all of the reps on the same side, then repeat on the other side.
Beginner tip: Start off by doing a few reps a day before increasing the number of reps to build up your stamina!
Core: Forearm Plank Reach & Push Up
Now its time to hit those cores! Let’s start off with forearm plank reach!
- Start in a forearm plank position, with core engaged and legs extended behind you.
- With core tight (so hips don’t move), extend your right arm straight out, keeping your hand off the floor.
- Return your right arm to forearm position and repeat on the other side.
- Continue to alternate as quickly as possible while keeping hips steady throughout, for 30 seconds
Next up, (something I’m sure most of us are familiar with 😁) push up!
- Start in a high plank position, with your core engaged, wrists directly under shoulders, and neck relaxed.
- In one smooth movement, bend elbows to lower chest toward floor. Stop when elbows bend to 90 degrees.
- Without letting hips drop, push back up to high plank position to return to starting position.
Beginner tip: Drop your knees and do ‘modified push up’ instead!
For all you lazy bums out there that scrolled through the article while on your bed, here’s something for you: Sleeping!
Yes, that’s right! According to the National Sleep Foundation, your body burns calories while you sleep!
So, I guess its time to head right back to sleep?
BUT HOLD UP! Do note not to sleep too much, as sleeping too much will lead to weight gain as well (as you are expending less energy overall during the course of the day).
Perhaps it’s best to just scroll all the way up to the start of the article and start exercising!