Tampines Fire: E-Scooter Overcharging Cause

A fire outbreak in an HDB flat at Tampines Street 83 on Saturday afternoon (Jan 20) has been reported to have been caused by overcharging of a personal mobility device (PMD).

Smoke billowing out of Tampines flat on Saturday. Video by CNA

40 residents were evacuated from the block before SCDF officers arrived and extinguished the blaze. No one was reported to be injured.

Aftermath of incident. Source

Electronic PMDs, which mainly comprise of E-scooters and electric biycles, have come under public scrutiny amidst a spate of fires caused by overcharging. In 2017, there were at least 38 cases of fires reported to have been caused by PMDs.

Less severe fire incident at Blk 260 Yishun St 22 on 7 Nov 17 Source

Users of electronic PMDs are advised not to leave the batteries charging overnight, and avoid placing the charging battery near combustible materials.

Facebook Comments
, , , , , ,